Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The MJ Show #3 (John Lennon - The Solo Years Special)

I promised a John Lennon special last night. So here it is.


John Lennon Special
From John Lennon's debut solo album John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band my first song for the day is a song that was recently covered by Green Day in a John Lennon tribute album 
1st Song - John Lennon - Working Class Hero #TheMJshow

His second album was the album that had what was possibly his greatest solo song. The album was called Imagine and the song I've chosen from that for now is - 
2nd Song - John Lennon - Jealous Guy #TheMJshow

Some Time in New York City was his 3rd post Beatles album and the song I've chosen from that has a very old school rock n roll feel. This was an almost autobiographical song.
3rd Song - John Lennon - New York City #TheMJshow

For the 4th song, I have the title track of the album Mind Games. The song was initially titled "Make Love Not War". Here it is:
4th Song - John Lennon - Mind Games #TheMJshow

His 5th album was called Walls And Bridges. The song I chose from this was apparently written by JL for Frank Sinatra in Las Vegas.
5th Song - John Lennon - Nobody Loves You When You're Down And Out #TheMJshow

JL's 6th album, Rock 'n' Roll was a massive hit for him! I've chosen a cover of a Ben E.King song from this album.
6th Song - John Lennon - Stand By Me #TheMJshow

The 7th album, Double Fantasy, has one of my all time favourite JL songs. It was used beautifully in Mr.Holland's Opus, one of my fav movies in an incredibly touching and beautiful way. You HAVE to see the movie if you've not seen it already.
7th Song - John Lennon - Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) #TheMJshow

JL's 8th album Milk And Honey, was released posthumously in 1984. The songs "Let Me Count the Ways" and "Grow Old With Me" from the album were written by John and Yoko to each other using inspiration from poems by Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Robert Browning.
8th Song - John Lennon - Grow Old With Me #TheMJshow

Coming up now is a 1969 single by John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band that became an anthem of the American anti-war movement at that time.
9th Song - John Lennon - Give Peace A Chance #TheMJshow

And quite understandably, my last song for the tribute is what I think was one of the greatest songs ever written.
10th Song - John Lennon - Imagine #TheMJshow


Just in case you want to hum along...

Imagine 

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one




 
Dear John...thank you for the music :) You'll always live on! :)










blog comments powered by Disqus

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Gorgeous Beaches of Goa

Back to TOP